Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Writer's Drain

I'm very sure that each and everyone of you has heard about writer's block. It's pretty common right? It's when someone sit down and tries to write and nothing comes out. It's like there's some large wall blocking everything. Well, right now, I don't have writer's block. I have writer's drain.

'What's writer's drain?' you may ask. Well it's kind of the opposite of writer's block. Instead of wanting to write and nothing finding anything to write about, you have something to write about, but you don't feel like writing. And the reason why you've probably never heard about it is because I just made up the name.

I guess my current bout of writer's drain stems from the fact that NaNoWriMo is done. I have successfully written 50,000 words in one month. However, 19,000 of those words were written between Friday at around 7pm to Monday at about 1pm. Looking back, I have absoultely no idea how I did it. I just knew that there was something to be done and I did it. And let me tell you this, it was hard work. Anyone who ever thought that writers have a easy job because they get to sit at a computer and write stories all day are completely wrong. I have never done something more physically and mentally draining in my life. But I persevered and I did it.

And now, I'm drained. I had at least two ideas for this post that I started typing and then deleted because I just didn't feel like writing them. I was kinda scared at first that I had used up all my writing ability. So I did what I always do when I can't write: I just type the first thing that comes to my mind, ergo this post. And I realize now what writer's drain is.

It's probably as simple to cure writer's drain as it is to cure writer's block. With writer's block, you write anything as much as you could. With writer's block, you write nothing. So I guess I'll take a break from writing for a while. Yes, I'll still have a post up tomorrow, but it'll be a novel excerpt, probably my last one for a while. I think just a day off would help a lot, and then I'd be back and better than ever.

See ya tomorrow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment