Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Final Excerpt

So I found out the other day that since I won NaNoWriMo, I'll have the opportunity to get free copy of my book, the way it would look if it were to be published (paperback yo!). So I have between now and June 2011 to finish it and do some revision. Sweet!! Here's an excerpt that I posted on my NaNoWriMo profile. It's right when Seth and Cassie are becoming good friends.

A couple hours later, Cassie and Seth were standing at the north entrance of the cinema, waiting for Megan to arrive. “She said meet her here at 5. It’s 5:30.” Seth said, looking at his watch for the umpteenth time.
“She’s probably dressing. It’s a girl thing. We’re practically never on time.”
“You’re a girl and you’re here early.”
“That’s because I had to take you here. And besides, I’m not your garden variety girl.”
Seth shrugged. “Well I guess you do have point.”
They were silent for a couple minutes, observing people as the bustled in and out of the building. “Seth,” Cassie said, breaking the silence. “Megan isn’t quite your garden variety girl either. I mean, she’s straight and all, but she’s…how can I say this…sorta…”
“Special? Different? Strange?”
“I was going to say creepy, but yeah, those words work pretty well too in this case.”
Seth smiled. “I noticed. She has a special air about her.”
“She may say things that may seem out of place. She’s known for that. So if she does, just ignore her. I’m pretty sure that she means it for the best, but sometimes she lets that crazy imagination of hers go wild and her mind comes up with all these crazy things. I mean, a little imagination is good and all, but Megan takes that rule and stretches it to the extreme.”
Seth stared off into the city’s skyline for a while, and then said quietly. “You’re nervous about me meeting Megan aren’t you Cassie?”
“What?” Cassie asked. “What would make you say that?”
“Because you usually ramble when you’re nervous. And you were rambling just now.” He turned and looked into her eyes. “Are you embarrassed the let your friends meet me?”
“What? No, I not embarrassed.” Cassie said quickly, seeing a hint of hurt in his eyes. “It’s just that…that…”
“You’ve never really had Christian friend for a while and you’re afraid that I’m going to say something to one of you’re non-Christian friends that’s going to make them think just exactly what side you’re on anymore if I’m hanging out with you. Am I right?”
“Wha- How did you know all that? Who told you?”
“No one. I just guessed.” Seth cracked a smile. “I’m pretty good at reading people Cassie. Despite the fact that we’re no longer enemies, I only see you during class. You’ve never introduced me to any one else. I kinda know what a signal like that means.” He looked away to the skyline again. “Don’t worry Cassie. I won’t tell Megan anything awkward.”
“Hey, I don’t mean to insult you or anything. I’ve seen you talk to other non-Christians. I just don’t want anything to happen that would send things out of control.” She looked up at him. “This is as settled as its ever been between us.”


Seth turned back to her and was about to say something, but just then he was interrupted by a loud shout. “Cassie! Seth! Glad you guys could make it.” Walking towards them was Megan with two guys flanking her on each side, who from the obvious resemblance, were her brothers. As soon Megan had called out to Cassie and Seth, they broke away from her and went off in another directions, on to do things of their own. “See what I mean when I said that they’d abandon me?” Megan asked as she watched them leave. “They didn’t even have the courtesy to leave me at the door.” She turned back to face them. “So you guys been waiting long? Sorry I’m late. I had to get dressed. So what do you think? Like my outfit?” she asked making a pose. Her ‘outfit’ consisted of a tight black top and a pair of skinny jeans with holes ripped in the knees.
“We’re going to see a movie Megan, not a Nickelback concert.”
“People dress like this at Nickelback concerts?” She asked, looking as if she were honestly expecting an answer. “Besides, unlike you Cassie, I happen to be single. And it takes a lot more to attract guys than it does to attract girls you know.” She turned to Seth. “So what do you think? Like what you see?”
Cassie buried her face in her hands. Maybe she should have asked Megan to watch what she said to Seth. “You look good, Megan. I actually do kinda like it.” Seth replied.
“Really? You’re not just saying that to make me feel good are you?”
“Nope, this is 100% truth. The looks suits you.”
“Well it you think this looks good, then you should see my- hey!” Megan’s sentence had been interrupted by Cassie grabbing her arm and dragging her into the cinema. “We should probably go get tickets before they’re all sold out.” She said.

See ya tomorrow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment