Thursday, December 23, 2010

Aeria Gloris

I've spent a lot of my vacation so far watching this anime called "Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex." It's about cyber-terrorism in the future and all that jazz. It's pretty good, and if you're into anime, I recommend that you watch it.

The thing that I wanted to talk about though isn't the show itself, but it's opening sequence. The opening song is called "Inner Universe" by Origa, which is a pretty haunting song by any measure. As it plays, a video montage of clips is shown. One clip shows a doll in the hand of a little girl. The girl's hand quivers and suddenly squeezes and crushes the doll. It breaks into pieces and falls to the ground. The scene switches and it's revealed that was a dream by the shows main character. The next clip features the same character taking on an armed tank-like weapon. You can watch it here to have better understanding.



I'm pretty sure that you have no clue what I just spoke about, and to be honest, I didn't understand it myself the first time I saw it. But as I watched the show, I came to understand what it meant. The main character had lost her limbs in a childhood accident, and was forced to replace them with robotic prosthetics. However, being young and unable to control them, she broke and destroyed several things, including her favorite doll. As she grew older, she learnt to use them more efficiently to the point where she became a virtuoso.

You always here people saying that you'll never achieve great things if we don't take great risks. And we do take great risks. But somethings, they don't work out, and we end up ruining the things that are precious to us. We come to fear our own power and decide never to dare try something like that again. But if we never try, we'll never get better. We'll never see the extent of our power and what we're capable of. Sometimes we crash and burn and vow never to drive again. But if we dare to push forward, we'd learn that we could not only drive, but we can soar.

See you tomorrow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment