Saturday, December 11, 2010

Decisions

I'm usually not an indecisive person. When it comes to making a choice, I flip it over in my mind a couple of times, and then choose which ever one seems best. Probably if something comes along later to change my mind, I'll consider it. But I usually take no longer than a minute to decide. Sometimes it's served me well, sometimes it hasn't.

But for some reason, it doesn't work that way anymore. I came to a crossroads the other day on something that should have been a simple decision. But it wasn't. My usually, "Oh, I'll just do this" thought process didn't kick in. I couldn't just suddenly decide to do anything anymore. You see, I realized exactly what making a decision means.

I realized that I don't live in a vacuum. I'm the on the IVCF executive and their Bible study coordinator. I affect and influence the people under my leadership. I'm a writer. I affect everyone who reads every single word that I right. I'm a big brother. I influence my younger sisters. A decision today will result in ripples that would would result in effects that I have no control over.

Lemony Snicket, one of my favorite writers, said in one of his books, "He who hesitates is lost." I used to look down on hesitant, indecisive people. But now, I look at them and think, that maybe, they have a better view of the big picture. Maybe that's why they take the time to make sure what they are doing doesn't hurt someone else. We tend to take all our actions for granted. But the slightest thing could have to greatest impact on someone. Think before you act. Think hard.

1 comment:

  1. I took about 10 seconds to decide whether or not to read this blog. I decided not to because I'm going to make you read this to me like a story in about 5 minutes......dammit my phone is out of money.

    ReplyDelete