Thursday, October 14, 2010

Reality vs. Emotional Alchemy

When I started this blog, I made a small promise to myself, that I would try not to have post based solely on religion. I could have made it a religious blog, but then I’d post only Christian stuff, and I’d lose site of my original goal for starting this blog. But after what happened today in IVCF today, I absolutely had to post something about it. It was an occurrence the likes of which I have never seen.

Today’s topic was “All Tied Up”. We were speaking about all the different ways that people get themselves entangled in and how God had provided a way through his Son, to free us from these things. The order of the meeting went a little different today. Instead of starting off with singing and worship, we went straight into the lesson. I’m sure that quite a few people were confused as what was going on and why we deviated from the regular routine. We showed a couple of videos, which gave us quite a bit of trouble at the beginning, but all the wrinkles were eventually ironed out and we went ahead.

The came the worship period. That’s when everything changed. We were just finished with the prayer session, and we began singing a common church chorus. I don’t quite remember what it was. But we all singing along, just as we always did. And then, without warning, the room erupted into flurry of voices. It didn’t come from one particular place and it wasn’t started by anyone. It as if someone had flipped a switch or pressed a button. Suddenly was no longer standing in a room full of people. I was standing in the middle of a river made of pure energy, beautiful and violent, with a power that threatened to tear the very building that we were in to pieces. I realized that voices I heard weren’t that of supernatural origin, but those of the people standing next to me, pouring out their very souls into the room.

The flurry of activity eventually calmed down, but I could feel that the room was different. People were crying, some were praying and some just had a different look in their eyes. It was like standing next to a nuclear explosion. You couldn’t have been close to it without being affected. As the meeting dismissed and people left, I could hear them all commenting on what they had felt. Everyone could tell that this wasn’t so random occurrence.

Some would argue that this was simply and example of emotional alchemy. Get enough people in a room, and have them perform a couple actions and you could produce a similar event. But that were true, we wouldn’t have started at the same time. Until you stand in that room and feel what was felt today, you could make assumptions till kingdom come and still have no idea what went on. This wasn’t some emotional alchemy. This was something else. This was reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment