Friday, October 8, 2010

Chaotic Synchrony

I think that in some of my earlier posts I told you guys that I am the Bible study coordinator for the IVCF (or InterVarsity Christian Fellowship) at my university. And today was one of the days that I had to do a Bible study. And well, it didn’t really go as expected.

I had finished preparing everything for today ahead of schedule which made me feel really proud of myself. I got the passage sheet photocopied so that I’d have enough for everyone. I had a couple hours this morning and I made sure that every single thing was in order. I had one class before the Bible study. It was supposed to finish at 12 noon, which is when my study would start. That’s when everything spiraled.

It so happened that today was our lectures last day to finish his part of the course. He had a whole lot of stuff to do and despite the fact that he rushed, we still went over into the lunch period by ten minutes. Then he had to keep us back to tell us about an upcoming lab. By the time he was done I got to the room where I kept the Bible study, I was already 15 minutes left. As I came into the room, it was instantly apparent from the number of people in the room that it was going to be the biggest study that I ever had. There were more people than I had anticipated, which meant that I had photocopied too little passage sheets. I was right. I ran out of passage sheets. I had never ran out of passage sheets before. One of my friends, Timothy, offered to go copy some more for me. While he was gone, more people kept coming, and I had to tell them to wait for the other copies to arrive. I usually give the members an opportunity to read through the passage, but I had to rush through that given the time that I had arrived. I also then remembered that I had a lab session directly after the meeting that I had to get to on time. I felt as if I was rushing through the entire thing. I kept looking at my watch, trying to will it to slow down, but the seconds kept slipping away. When I was almost done I realized that I had forgotten to pass around the roll. When I was finally done, I was already late for my lab. I left Timothy to pick up the roll and ran of to the laboratory. I got there just as the demonstrator had started explaining.

Looking back on the day though, I guess that despite all my rushing, everything went really well. It was probably one of my best meetings. A new girl came which was really encouraging, and even one of my non-Christian friends came and sat at the back, which was really cool. It may have seemed like chaos in the middle of it, but now I could see the synchronicity with which it flowed. I guess you could either chalk it up to good luck and causality, or ordered by God’s hand to move smoothly.

But I pick divine intervention. Life, for me, is far more understandable that way.   

No comments:

Post a Comment