Saturday, October 30, 2010

For The First Time

Prompt: For the first time, I had no idea what to say
Time: 10 mins
Word Count: 333

For the first time, I had no idea what to say. I had always been good at talking to people who needed help. I considered myself sort of an unofficial counselor, the go-to guy in class if you had a problem that needed solving, or just needed someone to talk to. I liked doing it. I was good at it. But this? I had no idea how to handle this. I had grown up in a strict, conservative Christian home. How the hell was I supposed to know how to handle a situation like this? It’s not every day that one of your best friends calls you aside after class and tells you she’s gay. What are you supposed to say in a case like that? “You’re going to Hell!”? Somehow, I don’t see that being very helpful at all. But there she was standing there, her cheeks blushing blood red and tears streaming down the side of her face. Anything that has anything to do with eternal damnation wouldn’t work very well here. So I had to try something else. “W-wow” I managed to stutter out. “Are you sure?” I asked, not so much to find out if she was sure, but so to by more time for me to think of what to say. She nodded her head and averted her eyes downward. ‘I’m sure. I’ve thought it over a lot.”
“Well, have you told anyone else?”
She shook her head. “No, I haven’t” she looked back up at me. “You’re the first person I’ve told.”
“Great.” I thought to myself. “I’m the first person she decided to come to. This makes it all the more complicated.”
“Well,” I said slowly, trying to pick my words carefully, “If you’re sure about it, I’m not sure what I could tell you.”
“ I don’t want to tell me anything,” She replied hesitantly, “I mean I want toll me, but I don’t….” She shook her head as if trying to settle her thoughts.


Note: Now I know that today is supposed to be Mythical Creature Saturday, but here's what happened. I had decided this week, for various reasons (ok, maybe just two) that I'd stop MCS for good, and just make regular posts on Saturday. Then, about an hour before this, one of my friends posted on my Facebook wall that she really like MCS. And she's wasn't the first person to say that. So I'm in sort of a quandry. So tell me: Do you think I should continue doing MCS or just return to regular posts on Saturday. Leave a comment here or on my Facebook page to tell me. See you tomorrow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment