Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Perfect Imperfections

To be totally honest, after all the hype of starting my blog yesterday, I was totally terrified that I would have nothing to blog worthy to write about today. So I went to school with eyes wide open for something to blog about.

After a morning of listening to boring lectures and hearing Alyssa, one of my friends, rattle on and on about how awesome Rafael Nadal is (apparently he's the youngest player to complete a career Grandslam. Who knew?), I finally found what I wanted to blog about. And I must say, it came in the most ironic of ways.

We have this course named Engineering Design, which basically where we learn to make stuff. In going the PowerPoint slides on what exactly the course entails, one line kinda jumped out and slapped me in the face. It was a partial definition of the term "Design". It simply read "Design is a combination of art and science." Like I said, it's pretty ironic. Here I am, naming my blog "Artsy Engineering" and the next day I'm confronted with exactly that.

But that's not where the main idea for this post came from. As we moved deeper in to the course, I learned that one of the tenants of Design is compromise. Something may be completely awesome from an aesthetic point of view and completely useless from a scientific one. The same is true the other way around. And so in the end compromise is reached in which both sides balance out. While one may be able to say from either an artistic or engineering point of view the the finished product has several imperfections, one can also say that, being balanced, it's the perfect product.

And that got me thinking. Our world is full of mishaps and flaws. Things that go haywire and crazy at the most inopportune of times. It would seem that God made some serious mistakes in His design. But what if the imperfections that we see are what make our world so perfect? What if the things we see as flaws are really the compromise between art and science? What if we just had sliver linings but no clouds? How would we appreciate them? What would the world be like if there were just clouds but no silver linings? Would we be able to live through it?

So from now on I'm not gonna look for the rainbow after the rain. I'd just be happy that both the rain and the rainbow exist, because that what makes it so sublime. And so, there are never going to be bad moments or good moments anymore. Just perfect moments. And it's because of all these imperfections that our world is so perfect.

2 comments:

  1. perfect imperfections !!!! ***ventures outside in search of perfect moments!! a new view on life ..i love it:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this is beautiful. I agree so very much: the concept of "perfection" is mis-defined so commonly in our society, when what "perfection" really is is a symbiotic balance of weaknesses and strengths. Compromise.

    ReplyDelete