Thursday, February 3, 2011

Tears

I saw you today. It's not very often that I see you, but I don't really think that that's a big deal. You must admit though, you do tend to stand out in a crowd, though that's no fault of your own. So here I was walking along my merry way, when I saw you. Had everything been normal, I would have just thought "Hey, look, it's her.", and then continued on my way, without even giving a second thought about you for the rest of the day. And it almost happened. Except that you were crying.

I don't why, but tears affect me. The tears of friends, of enemies, of perfect strangers. They stop me cold in my tracks, make me forget about what I was thinking. I didn't care why you were crying. I didn't care that I only met you once and that I never really spoke to you before. To be honest, I didn't even care who you were. You were crying. And for some reason, deep down inside, it hurt. I felt as if I had failed something, though I had no idea what it was. I try to make the world a better place, and here you are crying. Surely I've failed. Surely I've done something wrong. And yet there is a little voice somewhere that no of this wasn't my fault. People cry everyday. Hurt and pain exist around us, and there is no way that we could possibly eradicate it. There will always be someone who is sad, someone who is hurt, someone who is crying. But that didn't make me not want to stop the tears any less.

I walked away thinking about this all afternoon. I spoke to you a while after, for the first time, possibly due to some misguided feeling that I had to. You were normal. You even smiled. And it was then I was reminded of the most important thing. That the most wonderful thing about tears, is that no matter how painful how tears may seem and how much they hurt, they never last forever. And that one day, they will be eliminated altogether.

2 comments: